Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sergei Rachmaninoff/ The Philadephia Orchestra/Eugene Ormandy - Piano Concertos 2 & 3



Ooh let's have a music to x to thread, x being a variable. Those are always fun, right? Music to take buses to, Belle & Sebastian... Music to look at trees to, Nick Drake... Music to kill yourself to, Joy Division... ummm Music to have sex to?

One of the bad things about having been on livejournal for so long is that you start to make meta-lists in your head. Whenever there's another stupid meme, the whole of livejournal becomes flooded. And making a list of music to have sex to was one of the popular memes yonks back when. My Bloody Valentine Loveless, ooh yes wailmeout251, I did my ex to that once and it was soooo goood, too bad he's gay now. So the meta-list becomes populated by things drippingly romantic or oozingly sleazy. Also I never really liked Marvin Gaye all that much, you guys. How you MEN can listen to man called GAYE sing "Let's Get it ON" makes me question your heterosexuality.

I mean, what if you don't like your sex romantic or sleazy? What if you like it... strange? My ex used to try and wrest control of the stereo from me everytime we wanted to get it on because I would always insist on putting on June of '44 because I wanted to pretend we were making out on ship in a storm and she would think, this is not romantic, this is your sailor fantasy! Let's put on some Bjork instead. Boooring. Which was the cue for me to blow my load, roll over and fall asleep, of course.

Later on in life, though, I was fortunate enough to meet someone who didn't mind my insistence on playing strange music during 'It' and, as a consequence, the music just went all over the place, from Spiritualized to Glenn Branca to John Coltrane. But the best music to xxx to, from that period of time, was something weird even to me. It was SERGEI RACHMANINOFF'S THIRD PIANO CONCERTO! Or the RACH3 as idiots who hear it through that stupid movie Shine would say it. Oh yes! THE RUSSIAN MOTHERLAND! The best place to do it.

I don't really know why, but the rhythm is perfect if you skip the 2nd movement. It starts off slow but insistent and builds up into a crescendo of RUSSIAN EMOTION, which is really the best kind of emotion and the 3rd movement is just really fast, which, if you're like me, is exactly what you want.

But seriously, why have lame British/American pussy emotion about loveing yohu long tiem babbyyy when you can have TRUE RUSSIAN EMOTION ABOUT DOING IT FOR THE MOTHERLAND?!!

Aaarhgjknsfh. Anyway, I am providing you the version played by Sergei Rachmaninoff (conductor Eugene Ormandy) himself even though I prefer the one played by Vladimir Horowitz (with Fritz Reiner) by far, because people love authenticity and I appear to be missing all my second movements for the other pianists hurr hurr. Also, Rachmaninoff kind of looks like Vladimir Putin, who is totally hawt, and Horowitz looks like a Ferengi from Star Trek, which is totally nawt. I might post up the Horowitz/Reiner and Volodos/Levine versions sans second movements in the days to come though. So, there you have it, the best music to have sex to. Also great music to shoot bears to. Oh and last night I dreamt I was in a Halloween costume in Norway and they said wow, please be a composer for us and I said ALRIGHT LET'S KILL SOME HORNETS. True story.

Oh shit I also included Piano Concerto 2. Which merits a whole other entry altogether. I did not, however, include the rest of the things you see on the CD cover, so har har.


Piano Concertos 2 & 3 (drop.io)

No comments: