Friday, October 10, 2008

Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (1975)



Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert

1. Köln, January 24, 1975, Part I
2. Köln, January 24, 1975, Part IIA
3. Köln, January 24, 1975, Part IIB
4. Köln, January 24, 1975, Part IIC

So, I went to a party last night and ended up in a park arguing with this guy from California about music. Despite being pretty drunk, I managed to make what seemed like sound arguments to me but not to the guy, apparently.

Anyway, he was gushing about how emotional gothic rock like Evanesence and Nightwish was and I told him I had the exact opposite opinion of gothic rock because I felt that the subculture and structures in place have corrupted, to some extent, the 'natural-ness' of the music. No matter how hard you scream at the top of your lungs, choosing a mode of expression that has been so standardized feels a little stilted to me and I can't connect to it emotionally at all.

But maybe, that's just my personal bias against gothic rock. I've always been a structure over style person when it comes to music, really. AND FUCKING JOY DIVISION WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT SHIT. Wow, I wish I was fucking Joy Division. Last night, I dreamt I was taking pictures with Liam Gallagher, of all people.

So anyway, long and rambling intro over? No, not yet.

So, I told him about my ideas of the 'natural-ness' of music, a kind of authenticity and sincerity that has not so much to do with sincerity of emotion as the sincerity of the mode of expression. I firmly believe that it is something you can hear in the music and it's something that is very, very valuable. Maybe because I didn't explain myself properly, he went off on a tangent on how I contextualized music too much but that's really besides the point.

Anyway, I tried to break into his tangent with my tangent on how I HEARD IT, I REALLY DID, THERE WAS THIS GUY WHO PLAYED POP MUSIC, POPPY IMPROVISED TUNES, BUT FUCKING HELL IT HAS SO MUCH DEPTH AND SOUL AND EMOTION AND EVERYTHING YOU COULD WANT IN MUSIC AND ITS FUCKING POP TUNES AND DO YOU KNOW WHY ITS SO FUCKING GOOD ITS BECAUSE ITS SINCERE EXPRESSION ITS REAL ITS SOMETHING REAL SO THE OUTER FORMS REALLY MATTER LESS THAN THE SOMETHING SOMETHING BLAR BALR BLARR. Sadly, he didn't hear me (how? right?) and the rest of my friends ignored me because they all knew I was in one of my Keith Jarrett frenzies again.

So, this is it! The kind of music that changes your life, if you let it. The kind of music I have slapped people for insulting. The kind of music you cry to. The kind of music you listen to for the rest of your life and it just gets better and better and better each time. This is real music.


Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (drop.io)

Buy It Now!

No comments: